Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Simple sewing

The girls over at the Homeschool Lounge have started up a group for us who like to sew. :) They are kicking off August with a little bit of a friendly sewing challenge. We get points for any and everything we sew this month. Of course we lose points if we have to buy any fabric. hehehe Perfect challenge for me as I already have an overabundance of fabric that I need motivation to transform into something less sheet like.

So here is a little Simple Skirt How To. :) Or More like a simple How I made a skirt.

Step 1. 5 Quarter fats that I purchased ages ago folded in half. (Ummm yes I rarely use an iron)


Step 2. I cut them all on the open side at a slight angle from bottom to top. These are still folded over.
 

Step 3. Sew them end to end. I actually serged them together but regular sewing would work too.

Step 4. Turn inside out and sew ends together. (Now its a huge circle of fabric)


Step 5, 6, and 7. Serge top and bottom or roll hem. Then fold down top and sew to create a tube for stringing the elastic through. I cut the elastic to just fit my girls waist this way there is a ton of stretch so she can wear this skirt for a long time.


I used FOE simply because I have tons of it and the contest is about using up our stashes. Regular elastic would work fine as well. I also sewed a bit of lace on the bottom hem simply because I had it in the stash. :) You could easily use ribbon, lace, or nothing at all on the bottom hem.






As I sat and looked at my bible today I noticed my cover was rather bland. So here it is with my new embellishment. :) Simple yet fun. Just the kind of embroidery project I can actually finish.


Check back for more of my August sewing. I am always a fan of encouragement and friendly challenge. :)

4 comments:

Paige said...

I love this your projects are awesome. I may have to make that adorable skirt for my girls. Thanks for the tute also!

Unknown said...

So cute!

Faerylandmom said...

Now, that is just cool, Beth...I have quite the stash myself, but I can't start this right now...I have a whole room to reorganize. Sigh.

Cindy said...

Love the skirt!!! Very colorful and flattering!!!